In terms of size, Mississippi is the country's 32nd-largest state, covering an area of 48,432 square miles (31 million acres). Of its total landmass, 46,923 square miles (96.9 percent) is made up of land, while the remaining 1,509 square miles (3.1 percent) is covered by water (defined as inland lakes, Great Lakes water, coastal waters or territorial waters). Lands of America research shows that 93 percent of land in Mississippi is privately owned. Recent Lands of America data pegs the average value of land for sale in Mississippi at $3,938 per acre, representing data from 1,917 properties for sale at an average list price of $860,341 (the most expensive listing being for $50 million). The median land-parcel size was 156 acres, with a maximum size of 9,875 acres. Based on its price-per-acre value, Mississippi is currently one of the five cheapest states country for rural land. Among the 82 counties in Mississippi, Pike County
featured the most listings, while Walthall County
ranked as the county with the highest amount of recent sales. According to data from the U.S. Census Bureau, Mississippi had 38,076 farms totaling 11 million acres, placing the state at number 23 in the country with respect to the number of farms in the state; the state ranks 26th given the size of its farm acreage (Mississippi ranks 21st when agricultural acreage is considered relative to the state's overall land area).