In terms of its size, Ohio is the country's 34th-largest state, covering an area of 44,828 square miles (29 million acres). Of this area, 40,861 square miles (91.2 percent) of the state is land, while the remaining 3,965 square miles (8.8 percent) is made up water (comprising inland and coastal waters, as well as Great Lakes where applicable). Some 56 species of mammals, 200 species of breeding birds and 170 species of fish call Ohio home. The state has 74 state parks and over 130 preserves, sections of which are open to hunt and fish. Ohio is also home to a burgeoning wine industry, with over 100 wineries registered in the state producing 800,000 gallons of wine each year, including Ohio's signature ice wine. Lands of America research shows that 97 percent of land in the Buckeye State is privately owned. Ohio's current price-per-acre average places it 22nd in the country in terms of land value. This data represents $155.1 million of land for sale in the state covering a total of 22,597 acres. Of its 88 counties, Highland County
had the most land for sale, while Carroll County
was trending recently as the state's most searched county.