In terms of its size, Oklahoma is the country's 20th-largest state, covering an area of 69,899 square miles (45 million acres). Of this area, 68,595 square miles (98.1 percent) of the state is land, while the remaining 1,304 square miles (1.9 percent) is made up water (defined as inland lakes, Great Lakes water, coastal waters or territorial waters). Lands of America research shows that 95 percent of land in Oklahoma is privately owned. Recent Lands of America data calculates the average value of land for sale in Oklahoma at $6,516 per acre, based on data from 2,758 ranches, farms and land parcels for sale at an average list price of $443,002 (the most expensive listing being for $21.8 million). The median listing size was 68 acres, with a maximum size of 24,755 acres. Of Oklahoma's 77 counties, Delaware County
featured the highest number of land, farms and ranches for sale, while Choctaw County
was the county with the highest amount of recent sales. According to U.S. Census Bureau data, Oklahoma had 80,245 farms totaling 34 million acres, placing the state at number four in the country in terms of the number of farms in the state; the state ranks eighth given the size of its farm acreage (Oklahoma ranks sixth when factoring total agriculture acreage as a proportion of the entire state).