Oregon is one of the country's ten largest states in terms of size, covering an area of 98,379 square miles (63 million acres). Of this area, 95,988 square miles (97.6 percent) is land, while the remaining 2,391 square miles (2.4 percent) is covered by water (defined as inland lakes, Great Lakes water, coastal waters or territorial waters). Lands of America research shows that 41 percent of land in Oregon is privately owned. Recent Lands of America data calculates the average value of land for sale in Oregon at $7,286 per acre, representing data from 1,299 ranches, farms and land parcels for sale at an average list price of $907,076 (the most expensive listing being for $23 million). The median listing size was 133 acres, with the largest listing being 166,500 acres. Of the 36 counties in the state, Klamath County
featured the most listings, as well as the most recent sales. According to U.S. Census Bureau data, Oregon had 35,439 farms totaling 16 million acres, placing the state at number 27 in the country with respect to the number of farms in the state; the state ranks 17th given the size of its farm acreage (Oregon ranks 28th when factoring total agriculture acreage as a proportion of the entire state).