In terms of size, Tennessee is the country's 36th-largest state, covering an area of 42,144 square miles (27 million acres). Of its total landmass, 41,235 square miles (97.8 percent) is land, while the remaining 909 square miles (2.2 percent) is covered by water (defined as inland lakes, Great Lakes water, coastal waters or territorial waters). Lands of America research shows that 88 percent of land in Tennessee is privately owned. Recent Lands of America data pegs the average value of land for sale in Tennessee at $14,108 per acre, based on data from 3,776 listings for sale at an average list price of $351,956 (the most expensive listing being for $16 million). The median land-parcel size was 31 acres, with the largest listing being 9,132 acres. Of Tennessee's 95 counties, Coffee County
featured the most listings, as well as the most recent sales. According to U.S. Census Bureau data, Tennessee had 68,050 farms totaling 11 million acres, placing the state at number 11 in the country with respect to the number of farms in the state; the state ranks 27th given the size of its farming acreage (Tennessee ranks 19th when agricultural acreage is considered relative to the state's overall land area).