In terms of size, Wisconsin is the country's 23rd-largest state, covering an area of 65,496 square miles (42 million acres). Of this area, 54,158 square miles (82.7 percent) of the state is land, while the remaining 11,339 square miles (17.3 percent) is made up water (defined as inland lakes, Great Lakes water, coastal waters or territorial waters). Lands of America research shows that 82 percent of land in Wisconsin is privately owned. Recent Lands of America data calculates the average value of land for sale in Wisconsin at $31,629 per acre, which represents data from 2,136 listings for sale at an average list price of $320,696 (the most expensive listing being for $11.9 million). The median listing size was 20 acres, with a maximum size of 6,000 acres. Among the 72 counties in Wisconsin, Waupaca County
featured the most land, farms and ranches for sale, as well as the highest number of recent sales. According to U.S. Census Bureau data, Wisconsin had 69,754 farms totaling 15 million acres, placing the state at number 10 in the country with respect to the number of farms in the state; the state ranks 20th given the size of its farming acreage (Wisconsin ranks 22nd when factoring total agriculture acreage as a proportion of the entire state).