Magnet Valley South
With tall cliffs framing the Ohio River, Magnet Narrows offers more of nature. Large rocks dot the landscape, with wooded building sites. The back yard is wooded with a tall cliff and the front view is of the Ohio River and Kentucky farmland. Each of these riverfront tracts are unique in their own way. Each tract fronts a paved county road. A boat ramp is close by. Utilities are easily available. Starting at $64,900.
A brief history of Magnet IN
In the 1820's, the community was known as Dodson's Landing, after John Dodson who operated a wood yard to fuel steamboats. Jessie Martin took over in the 1830's and it became known as Martin's Landing. Martin owned a dog "Rono", who was widely regarded by river men. Job Hatfield, who operated a store boat on the river, arrived in 1842. He became post master of the community in 1859, opening the "Rono" post office. In 1889, the community's name was changed to Magnet. So called many believe, because the currents creates a great deal of drift at the location of the river's bend, to be deposited on the bank here as if "attracted by a magnet." The settlement was known as Rono until 1899 when the United States Postal Department changed the name to Magnet. The Magnet post office, run by Mary Jean Cassidy, closed in 1992.
Memorial Grave Historical Marker Near Magnet
On August 21, 1865, the steamboat, U.S.S. Argosy (Number 3) was returning Union soldiers of the 70th Ohio Infantry home via the Ohio River. The steamer was forced aground by a storm. Her boilers exploded and caused ten fatalities. They were buried in a mass grave one half mile from Magnet (then called Rono). Ten grave makers were raised at the site.
The Cannelton Pool has been called Indiana's largest "Lake", stretching 114 miles from the locks and dam at Louisville, KY to the locks and dam at Cannelton, IN. Magnet's new concrete boat ramp is just a few hundred feet away.
Magnet, Indiana, is an unincorporated community along the Ohio River in Union Township, Perry County IN, United States.
From I-64 take Exit 86 south to Sulphur (1 mile). Continue through intersection onto Highway 66 west. Follow 66 until it makes a sharp right turn at the bottom of a long hill. Go straight on Parks Rd.
Tax Data (Show Tax Data)
Loading Tax Data
Other Land for Sale from
NOTE: The information contained herein is provided as general information only and has been obtained from sources deemed reliable. It is provided without any guaranty, warranty or representation, expressed or implied, made by Lands of America, or any related entity, as to the accuracy or completeness of the information. The information is presented subject to errors, omissions, change of price or conditions, prior sale or withdrawal without notice. Prospective purchasers should make their own investigations, projections and conclusions concerning the information.